Friday, December 02, 2005

Scripting

I saw a couple of good articles today on adding scripting to a .Net application.

Not sure how or if I should accomodate for scripting. At the moment this is more of a distraction and not a high priority. I'm thinking about it because, if adopted, it would have useful benefits and make the final application more flexible. It would also affect how I do certain tasks, like the cinematics. It could also mean certain aspects of the game could have hot fixes or at least allow users to customize certain parts.
There is of course certain overhead asociated with scripting, so I need to look at alternatives and see if it's really worth it and where it would really be used. Some tasks would be easy to do with a settings (ini or xml) file. However I beleive cinematics would be easier to create with scripts.

If I do add the ability to use custom written scripts, I'm not sure how easy it is to expose my objects to the methods in those scripts. This is something I'll have to look deeper into and play with, before I can make any decisions.

Perhaps scripting is an "exclusive or" with plugins - one or the other but no need to do both?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


___