Monday, November 21, 2005

Medal of Honour

I was playing Medal of Honour the yesterday. What a great atmosphere that game has. Could it simply be the subject material, the war, the associations and friendships that are made with your AI companions, the cut scenes, the heart moving subject/content, the pace in some parts or the subtle music that is heard yet not noticed. Whatever it is there is a good atmosphere.
The game had some nice ideas that I thought might be worth replicating.

  • I like the idea of having to call for a medic to patch you up, as oppose to it being done automatically, perhaps could add a repair bot to my game? Or even make it so you have to manualy turn the shields on?
  • I like the way the game shows stylised screenshots of what the oncoming level will be like. A bit like the grey foretelling future video clips in Prince of Persia Sands of Time that show before the level starts, which sometimes help in solving puzzles. Should I add this into my game though? Not sure, it really does depend on how long level take to load. There needs to be a threshold value. E.g. If it takes longer than 1 min to load a level then some music or screen shots would be nice to see, rather than just text that says "Loading...". Of course if the level is going to load in 10 seconds, then I don't think it's worth doing. Even if I did add it, what would I put? As all there would be is a few pictures of enemies being shot... a waste of hard disk space?
  • Having buddies/companions/colleagues in the game is very good, as we all need a rock to associate with, after all isn't that why people watch soaps? ES will certainly need to have some common ground through out the game. Perhaps a general or a major who is in constant contact with you or a hangar bay where you can store weapons, or at least feel like you are returning home after a long hard day beating up aliens.


Hmm.. I think I need to add a to-do list somewhere on this site. And/Or a possible
features list; what is possible to add, what would be nice to have and what has now been done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


___